Wednesday, March 18, 2009

It's a me, Mario!


Recently I have been in a video game music kind of mood, and I decided I would make a list of my favorite tracks from the various Super Mario games. This list is original tracks only not remixes or remakes, solely original game music. Now, there is nothing wrong with the rest of the songs from the games these just happen to be my favorite songs from each. Some tracks have a particular meaning for me while others are just there. I decided to break this up into 2 parts to try and get rid of the giant list feel. In chronological order here is:

Super Mario Brothers - Overworld. This is one of those songs that can transport people back to a wonderful time of their life when everything was alright. It always reminds me of sitting at home or a family members house enjoying life, and trying to get to lvl 8-4. 9 times out of 10 if you hum this song for people they will know exactly where it is from. This song is the very definition of epic. It ALL starts here for Nintendo and Mario.


Super Mario Brothers 2 - Overworld I know that this game was originally Doki Doki Panic and that the Lost Levels are the real SMB 2, but to me this is Mario 2. The overworld music from this game is by far one of my favorite video game tracks of all time, and every remix or rehash of this song I have heard has always been amazing. Hearing this makes me think of the first time I played Mario 2. I was at my mothers friends house and her daughter was away so she let my sister and I play her NES. That is how I met the world of sub con. FYI Princess Toadstool is the best character to use, period end of story!


Super Mario Land- Chai Kingdom Mario Land will always have a special place in my heart, because when I was a kid my father and I would play this game constantly. I remember one day he picked me up from school and told me that he finally got to the Chinese Level! (at that time we had never gone that far before) I was so psyched I was flipping out in the schoolyard! The best part was he had my Game Boy in the car on pause so I can play the level! It was like Christmas in the middle of the year that day! That memory in particular is why the Chai Kingdom is my favorite track out of a superb line up of music from this game.


Super Mario Brothers 3 - Underworld This is my favorite Mario game for the NES and in the running for mine of all time. Everything about this game was amazing! This is another game where upon hearing the sounds and music will transport a person back to a magical time. I remember playing this game nonstop at my babysitters house with my sister and her grandson. Trying our hardest to all the magic whistles and the white ghost ship. Of all the tracks from this game (and they are all good!) I chose the underworld as my favorite because it takes the main theme and gives it a gritty rock groove to it. Although it is the same basic theme from SMB 1 it feels like a genuine progression. The tempo is sped up, kick ass drum track is laid down, and the theme itself has more bass to it.


That's all for part 1! Come back tomorrow for part 2 SNES and Beyond!

1 comment: