Tuesday, March 3, 2009

We are Defenders of the Vinyl

For Christmas I bought my parents a combination record/cd/mp3/radio player seeing as my sister and I broke theirs when we were younger. Ever since then I have had an itch to start my own record collection. On Sunday I cashed in the thought and went to Vintage Vinyl to see what records I could purchase. I set off on this excursion with Pluck the Knife. I had a few records that I wanted to get already listed in my head as high priority, Judas Priest, particularly Screaming for Vengeance. We spent a good two hours or so in the store flipping through the used vinyl section, which had no order to it just records piled in bins and boxes, as well as the new vinyl. I was getting upset towards the end because I flipped through the used records and couldn't find any Priest! Right when the sadness of no JP set into my mind I notice that the record in front of me had a familiar logo on it. I turn it around and it was Defenders of the Faith and behind it Turbo!

I wound up purchasing the following:

Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith
Judas Priest - Turbo
Judas Priest - Hero, Hero ( new copy)
Foreigner - Head Games
Foreigner - Double Vision
Men at Work - Business as Usual
Ted Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
Led Zeppelin - Song Remains the Same Soundtrack
Steely Dan - Gaucho

and a few others that I can't remember now but probably will once I click post. I was sad that there would be no screaming for vengeance that day but eBay rectified that once I got home. Tom and I furiously went looking for a Jefferson Starship album that had Light the Sky on Fire. We found only one that had it included as a single, however it wasn't in the sleeve. Either some fan boy took it or it just wasn't in there. I am happy that I am getting a record collection going wether or not I listen to them is a different story. I would like to find records of Ace Frehley's solo KISS album, any Led Zeppelin, and any Pink Floyd. So if anyone knows where I can find those as well as the Starship song I am looking for please let me know. I bid on a Star Wars soundtrack which hopefully (fingers crossed) I should win, and did a buy it now for The Empire Strikes Back soundtrack. I believe my record collection is starting to take shape nicely.

1 comment:

  1. The fun is in finding the stuff. Gives us a reason to go to Princeton Record Exchange and the Sound Exchange in Wayne (which is on the way to many hiking destinations, heh heh)

    so you bought Hero, Hero? Nice snag.

    Part of the fun of vinyl is that listening to it is a ritual. You have to put on the record, and flip it; this ain't a playlist you hop on in the middle of. Maybe you like side 2 better and play that first next time. And you're careful not to scratch it or touch the grooves. "Spin the Black Circle" by Pearl Jam was about that.

    I listened to Ace of Spades (the $20 one) and some of Sun O))) & Boris. They're drone metal. Stuff to scare the cat with. It was surprise, purple swirl vinyl!

    PS you should change the label from ramble to "ramble on"

    ReplyDelete