Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Load up on guns...

So I have been sitting here most of the day trying to think of a blog post to write. I was mulling over a few different ideas. I want to make a post regarding my take on the whole A Rod steroid situation, but I still have a few more sources to read in order to reinforce my forming opinion. So you have that to look forward to in the near future. (probably before the week is out)

Today I listened to Nirvana's Nevermind album in its entirety. Now being at work I can't really blast the songs at their intended volume, but I believe I can give my opinion at the level I was enjoying it at. First off my favorite Nirvana song of all time is on this album. Can you guess it?(Psst it's In Bloom). This whole album is Amazing with a capital A. The tracks that stick out for me were, "Smells Like Teen Spirit," "In Bloom," "Breed," "Come as You Are," "Lithium," and to a lesser extent "Polly." This whole album transports me back in time to my childhood in the early 90's. I remember watching the video for "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on MTV and enjoying it. I didn't realize how much of an impact it had on music back then until I was a bit older. Watching Kurt Cobain thrash around in the video, and hearing the messages he was saying through the unique lyrics I knew that rock music would have a huge bearing on my life. Nirvana was one of the bands that helped formulate my own musical taste; in that critical time in every young ones life when they start to leave the comfort of the music that their parents or siblings have exposed them to and embark on a journey of discovery for themselves. As I got older I would start to understand the significance of this album and how much I identified with the beats and phrases of the tracks.

I could sit here and go on and on about what each track does for me but I will shorten it to just what I think about In Bloom. Hearing the opening riff makes me think about driving on a sunny day down the highway on a trip to anywhere blasting music (which I have done plenty of times). The first chours reinforces this though as well as reminding me that I am a young man with the majority of my life left to live and to sit back and enjoy the ride. The solo is gritty and dirty as grunge music should be. It makes me think that the guitar is in its death throes and squealing in pain. Most importantly of all it reminds me of being alive in the 90's just kicking it as a kid discovering different styles of music.

If there ever was a list of great albums to give to kids/early teenagers to help guide them through adolecense and young adulthood Nirvana's Nevrmind would be on it, if not in the top 10.

See for yourself:

1 comment:

  1. Nevermind was the ultimate nail in the coffin for the '80s, though hair metal bands desperately tried to hang on for years after. The flannel shirt replaced the Member's Only jacket and that was that.

    ReplyDelete