Friday, February 27, 2009

You Don't Nomi


Last night I watched a documentary about Klaus Nomi called The Nomi Song. For having only known very little about his life and music before hand this documentary really made me a fan. I first learned of Nomi when I heard his version of The Twist. I instantly loved it because it was way out there. Upon finding out that he did this in the late 70's early 80's I was astonished. His music was and still is way ahead of its time. He was an opera singer who had the voice of an angel. His falsetto was a head turning soprano. If you never head him before you would think it was a woman singing. His voice was only part of what made Klaus, Klaus. His presence, cloths, and personality added to his mystery. Klaus did an amazing job of making us believe that he descended upon Earth from outer space. He even performed with David Bowie on SNL!(thats where the Venture Brothers probably got their tie in) Unfortunately, Klaus died from AIDS in 1983. I can only imagine how scary it was to have AIDS back then. It must really have felt like a death sentence.

I would give a few thoughts and opinions about his music, but I only know a few songs by name and the rest by tune. Sometime in the near future the internet will have bestowed it upon me so after listening to it I will let everyone know. I do recommend watching the documentary if you are at all interested in this amazing person's life and music.

Here are a few videos of Klaus, the only way to truly get his whole performance:


No comments:

Post a Comment